Tuesday, July 1, 2008

All Things Work for the Good

Besides those who say, "if only...", there are those who say, "I believe all things work for the good." It is usually used to either placate someone about a bad patch on the road of life or to excuse some foolishness they committed.

"I insulted the boss and he fired me, but I believe all things work for the good, don't you? That's in the Bible, isn't it?"

First of all, I don't believe all things work for the good. Do you think the murder of six million Jews by Hitler's Nazis during World War II worked for the good? Do you think Herod having the Bethlehem boys two years old or under butchered worked for the good? 

I certainly don't believe everything I've done in my life worked for the good. I don't believe everything that has happened to me in life worked for the good either. There are times when I though I was doing good, which really was bad and there were happenings that seemed very bad which did work for good. But not everything worked for the good.

If you are about to use that expression you should stop and examine the situation. You may be excusing misdeeds you need to ask forgiveness for or behavior you need to change. 

When I was a teenager I went to a "Sock Hop" with some buddies. (For those not as ancient as I, a Sock Hop was just a school dance. Since most such dances were held in the school gymnasiums, they didn't want the floor scuffed, so everyone had to remove their shoes.) Late in the evening, they had a Sadie Hawkins. (Again for those not as old as dirt, Sadie Hawkins was a character in a once popular comic strip called L'il Abner. A Sadie Hawkins dance was one in which the girls asked the boys to dance.) A particular girl asked me to dance and I made some excuse and dashed out of the building. Why? Because the girl was considered homely and I didn't want to face the teasing that would come if I danced with her. 

How could my behavior work for the good? I hurt that girl, who was a nice person, simply to avoid the ridicule of guys who would ridicule me for something else anyway. I know she asked me because I was considered a decent guy. So I shot that image, didn't I? And I have carried the guilt of it my whole life. I doubt my turning her down that evening improved her lot in life. So, not all things work for the good.

Yet it says all things work for the good in the Bible, right? 

What it says in the Bible is this: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

It isn't all things that work for good. It is God who works for the good in all things and the good is for those who love him. Yes, something seeming bad can work to the good through the power of God, if you love Him and are called to his purpose. Do not think you can ignore God and expect life to be good.

So instead of blithely assuring yourself that all things work for the good, ask where you stand toward God. Things may be happening in your life that are guiding you to Him. If you come to Him, then he will work all things for your good. If you reject him...well you're on your own.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Larry,

    You must be in the writing mode. I can't keep up with your posts! LOL!

    I know of people who use that verse, almost in a way to make light of bad things that might be happening in their lives. As if it was God's will, and they don't take into consideration that they could be reaping consequences of bad decision making. And a lot of times you will hear them say just the first part, "All things work together for the good" they take it out of context and they forget to add; "to them who love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Thanks Larry good word.

    ReplyDelete